Saturday, July 10, 2010

Thing #15

For this assignment I read "Away from Icebergs", "Into a new World of Librarianship", and "To More Powerful Ways to Cooperate." The video of the students from Kansas State University along with these readings really brought awareness to how much education and libraries are changing. Students don't have to just sit back and absorb information, but can be active participants in their learning. Books aren't necessarily the best medium for information any more. The librarian at the school I teach at mentioned at the end of last year that libraries were cutting their book numbers drastically because of the increased popularity and usefulness of technology. At the time I thought she was crazy. After reading these blogs and watching the video, I think maybe she is right.
Of the perspectives I read, the most interesting to me was "Into a New World of Librarianship." I had no idea how flexible, current, and changing the job of a librarian must be today. I still ascribe to the thought of the traditional librarian who helps a school or library keep books in order, looks for new books to share, checks books in and out. I never thought about how technologically savvy today's librarian must be (although the librarian where I teach is very much technologically savvy). I like the notion that the librarian's job is to make everything very accessible to the patrons and must bring the library to the patrons. At the end of last year, our librarian introduced us to multiple websites and technologies that could enhance our classrooms. At the time, I thought these are great, but really are they THAT great? Are we really going to use them? Through my journey of 23 Things, I'm realizing that those websites, tagging and sharing, blogs, etc. can be very valuable to my classroom by not only expanding the information that can be found, but also by putting my students in the driver's seat. I am anxious as we return to school in August to sign my class up for time on the computers in the library for research and projects. The library is no longer just a place to come and look for books to check out, it is a technology haven that can truly enhance research and learning. I still love the feel of a good book in my hand, and question the quality of information that often comes from the internet, but I'm letting go. The role of the librarian is a powerful one and the possibilities of information in the new Library 2.0 is astonishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment